Here are some suggestions for you to consider when you are beginning to enter that laboring realm.
1. Eat while you are still at home and in early labor - at least every 2-3 hours. Avoid heavy food and of course sugar laden ones like soda.
2. On the way to the hospital? Try a banana or pear
3. During labor don't forget that a little protein or apple juice can be a real help.
4. Water - at least 4 ounces every hour. You don't want to get dehydrated now.
Some ideas you might consider
1. Raspberry leaf tea with some honey added and made into ice cubes
Make a strong tea and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Add 25% honey to tea and freeze in ice cube trays.
2. Electrolyte balanced sports drink - Find one you like ahead of time.
3. Miso broth - high in protein with a salty taste.
Miso paste mixed with hot water or packets of instant miso soup work well.
4. Chicken or beef Broth - if you find you don't care for the flavor of Miso
5. Herb Tea with Honey - A cup of tea with a generous spoon of honey can help during that second . stage of labor when you energy is starting to falter.
Remember - your body needs nourishment throughout labor. So just like you planned for every other aspect of your pregnancy and postpartum period, don't forget to plan and be prepare for your nutritional needs during labot.