study were released online June 4 and are scheduled to be published in the July issue of Pediatrics.
- Let pregnant women know about the benefits of breast-feeding.
- Help new mothers begin breast-feeding within an hour after the birth.
- Teach mothers how to breast-feed and how to maintain their milk supply if they are separated from their babies.
- Don't give infants any supplemental feedings (unless medically necessary).
- Allow mothers and infants to stay together 24 hours a day (referred to as "rooming in").
- Encourage breast-feeding on demand.
- Hospitals (doulas, public health, peer counselors, La Leche Leaders and members) should do everything possible to assure that mom and baby are being successful and that might mean home visits and support.